Monday, June 15, 2020

Our Dogs Miss A Social Life!


6/4/2020 Chatterbox
Betty Kaiser
Sammy as a puppy


The Coronavirus pandemic has affected everyone in our house—even the dogs. No, they’re not wearing masks or washing their paws as they go in or out of the back door. But they have a social problem. Our feisty little Dachshunds are great watch dog companions that are always on alert for people and predators. They take their jobs seriously.

They are the welcoming party to the Kaiser household and nothing comes onto the property without being greeted. During wet weather, they stay inside and guard their domain through the French doors. In warm weather they go outside in the sunshine and wait for company to come calling so they can announce their arrival.

But thanks to Covid-19, traffic has slowed down and welcoming barks are strangely quiet. You might say they are not happy campers. So, Sammy has taken up whining as a new hobby.

Last week, he literally nearly drove me crazy—in the house. The weather was nice but he didn’t want to stay outside. Wherever I went. He went. If I was in the laundry room. He was there. If I went upstairs, so did he.  He even came into the bathroom with me. And the whining never stopped. Step after step, room after room, I worked and he whined.

In desperation, I sat down, gave him my undivided attention, petted, murmured sweet words, massaged and hugged him. More whining. I tried coaxing him with his favorite chew treat—a bacon flavored Nyla Bone.  He would have none of it.  Instead, he looked at the door and…whined!

During that time, his little housemate Sweetie ignored us! It was the perfect opportunity for her to sleep in Sammy’s bed and play with his toys. But she was also getting anxious. She wanted to go in and out the back door every few minutes. If only she knew how to turn the doorknob!

This went on all week. I was really annoyed until I figured out the problem.

I already knew that our dogs could sense tension in the air. As a puppy, during any household disagreement (even on the television!) Sammy would go into my office, climb into Sweetie’s bed and go to sleep. He only comes out when the noise calms down!

Then I read that other pets across the country have become unhappy during this pandemic situation. Two reasons:  1. Their daily life routines have been turned upside down. 2. If their human is anxious, they are too.

Huh. What a concept. Anxious? Tense? Me? During Covid-19? Yep. That's me!

For weeks, I would get uptight just thinking about going to the store. First, I would read the latest  socializing restrictions. I’d make my list and check it twice.  Then I’d check the car for hand sanitizer, put on my mask and gloves and go back into the house to check one more thing and leave.

All the while, the dogs would be watching, dogging me and trying to get in the car and go with me. They’re spoiled. When they go with dad, his “people” give them treats. Not me.

Sammy and Sweetie live for company. But for months (per CDC guidelines), human visitors have been few and far between. Thank goodness for neighborly conversations across the fence, USPS and UPS.

Some days, I also feel like whining. A worldwide pandemic that’s killing thousands of people calls for fear, heartache and extreme changes in lifestyle.

Physical distancing, no church, haircuts or dining out and staying home are a small price to pay to save lives. But it took awhile to realize how important seeing our friends and hugging them on a regular basis is important emotionally. Sometimes I feel like I am in prison!

Like us, our dogs have been missing their people, running around the property and having fun. Playing catch or tag with a squeaky toy in the house just doesn’t cut it. They quickly tire of ordinary games and get bored.

So, we have a new routine. Daily, I snap on Sammy’s leash to go out to the mailbox (about a ¼ mile walk) and pick up the mail. Then I unleash him and we walk around our wooded acreage and wave at the neighbors driving by.

Sometimes Sweetie joins us. Then both of them get a chance to investigate new squirrel holes, chase birds, bark at any motorcycles that zoom past their territory and greet Bella (the dog next door).

At home, we get a drink of water, sit down and kibbutz while Sammy gets a massage and Sweetie takes a nap. It’s a new normal but it works for the time-being. No whining allowed. Yea!

Thankfully, hope is on the horizon. Virus numbers are down. Community doors are opening again and yesterday, a car drove down our driveway.

Hallelujah!


Contact Betty Kaiser’s Chatterbox



No comments: